mercredi 3 octobre 2018

Thai Hmong ethnic appliqué


At Birmingham Quilt Festival, I bought fabrics, but I also bought these fantastic handmade appliqué star/flowers at a non-profit organisation booth called Aid for Burma. The larger one is 5cm in diameter.
I was very ambivalent, because I don't like to buy parts of blouses, it break my heart to think about the beautiful piece of cloth it comes from. I would a thousand times prefer to buy the whole blouse and I told the lady so. She sais it's how they get them... I still bought them, they are so well done, see pictures below. 

Au festival de quilts de Birmingham, j'ai acheté des tissus, mais j'ai aussi acheté ces fantastiques étoiles/fleurs appliquée à la main à un stand d'une organisation appelée Aid for Burma. La plus grande fait 5cm de diamètre.
J'étais très ambivalente, car je n'aime pas acheter des morceaux de blouses, cela m'attriste de penser au magnifique vêtement dont elles proviennent. Je préférerais mille fois acheter la blouse entière. C'est ce que j'ai dit à la dame, mais elle m'a répondu que c'est comme ça qu'ils les reçoivent...
Je les ai quand même achetées, elles sont si bien faites, voir photos ci-dessous.



Besides putting them in a frame, I don't know what one can do with them. They cut the appliqué so close to the points, it's impossible to sew them on something else. (5cm)

A part les mettre sous cadre, je ne sais pas ce qu'on peut en faire. Ils ont coupé l'appliqué tellement près des pointes, c'est impossible de les coudre sur quelque chose d'autre. (5cm)



Small stitches and fluo synthetic yarn...

Petits points et laine fluo...


I found this picture after searching quite a bit on the internet. Picture of a Thai Hmong girl found here.

J'ai trouvé cette photo après avoir cherché pas mal sur internet. Photo trouvée ici.



Here's a green Hmong man's jacket. Picture found here.

Voici une veste d'homme Hmong vert. Photo trouvée ici.





Green Hmong girl's jacket. Picture found here.

Veste de fille Hmong vert. Photo trouvée ici.


Here's a flyer about the charity program.

Voici un dépliant du programme de charité.

1 commentaire

  1. Very interesting. The larger circle, with yellow, looks older. I remember reading that the coins on the clothing are meant to scare evil spirits away. I guess I would frame them too. Or maybe hang them artfully from a tree branch. Or you could attach coins to the center and make a wind chime - to only use indoors of course.

    RépondreSupprimer

On Instagram

© Mary & Patch. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.