jeudi 3 décembre 2015

A new quilt for Christmas / 4





As I freely covered my foundation squares with stripes, not having a very definite idea of what I was going to make at the end, some of the blocks don't fit vey well, or they don't please me enough. Therefore I alter some of them. 

Comme j'ai librement couvert mes tissus de fond avec des bandes, n'ayant pas d'idée très précise de ce que j'en ferais au final, quelques blocs ne conviennent pas tout à fait ou ne me plaisent pas assez. Donc j'en modifie quelques uns.





For example, here, there are too many plain fabrics side by side. I'll just add a stripe, right on top of the others. I sew a stripe on the bloc, I flip it back, I fold a little bit on the opposite side and I machine stitch the stripe in place. Once the block is back in the group, you don't notice anything.

Par exemple, ici il y a trop de tissus unis côte à côte. J'ajoute simplement une bande, carrément sur les autres. Je couds la bande sur le bloc, je la rabats, je fais un petit rentré et je couds à la machine à deux millimètres du bord de la bande.





Block altered. It sometimes needs just a little something to make a difference. 

Bloc changé. Quelques fois il ne faut pas recoup pour faire une différence. 




I sometimes have stripes that are way too light. They give the impression there's a "hole", and it catches the eye too much. It's when I cover such stripes with more colorful ones, or when I take out my textile felt tips!

J'ai quelques fois des bandes qui sont beaucoup trop claires. Elles donnent l'impresssion qu'il y a un "trou", et cela attire trop l'oeil. C'est à ce moment que les recouvre avec des bandes plus colorées, ou où je sors mes feutres textiles! 



I protect the adjacent stripes with scotch tape.

Je protège les bandes adjacentes avec du scotch.


And I transform this stripe, making it in a bit darker, using a textile pen and a ruler. I then take the scotch tape away and iron the block.
Now I have to be careful not to be to perfectionist and not overdo it. I could go on and on, until the quilt would be perfectly "watercolored", but I want to keep the spontaneous feeling of the quilt. It's how it was made after all!

Et je transforme la bande, en la rendant un peu plus foncée, en utilisant un feutre textile et une règle. Ensuite j'enlève le scotch et je repasse le bloc.
Maintenant je dois veiller à ne pas être trop perfectionniste et ne pas en faire trop. Je pourrais continuer sans fin, jusqu'é ce que le quilt soit parfaitement "aquarellé", mais je veux garder une impression de spontanéité, c'est comme ça que le quilt a été fait, après tout!

A new quilt for Christmas / 1
A new quilt for Christmas / 2
A new quilt for Christmas / 3
A new quilt for Christmas / 5
A new quilt for Christmas / 6

Linking to Crazy Mom quilts


4 commentaires

  1. That will be a very happy quilt or should I say a very happy bed!!!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Neat tricks! I worry that I wouldn't be able to do "random" very well, but knowing it could be so easy to alter them later makes it a little less intimidating. Thanks for sharing.

    RépondreSupprimer

On Instagram

© Mary & Patch. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.